A night at an authentic longhouse, Bavanggazo

If you love the sun but wanting to have a traditional touch of Borneo in your short gateway, I am recommending Bavanggazo Long House as your homestay destination. It is less than 3 hours drive from Kota Kinabalu city (for slow drive like me) but only about 20 minutes to the Tip of Borneo.

If you only have 1 day and 1 night to spend, choosing this particular authentic destination is like killing two birds with one stone. Visit the beach during the day and learn about the Rungus traditional at night. Book a night stay at the long house, and ask the operator to prepare 'kampung style' dinner and breakfast. You only spend about RM35 per head (half price for children) for the package. But if you wish to have traditional performance at night, they are charging around RM65 per head.

Two weeks ago, during the Chinese New Year holiday my colleague Eydah arranged a road trip to Bavanggazo Long House located at Tinangol near Kudat. At first, they supposed to climb Mount Kinabalu but cheated by unregistered agent. So, they changed the plan and I tagged along. Yay... I brought my son Qayyum and my sister in law (Adeq). My husband was busy so he did not follow this trip.

It was me, Qayyum, Adeq, Eydah, Sue and her daughter Sofi, Amy and her sons Micah and Dante, Aniq, Murib and Aisyah.

We started our journey at 10am from Kota Kinabalu, stopped at Kota Belud for brunch and checked in at Bavanggazo Long House around 2pm.

 SO SAD... Only mummy and Qayyum. Daddy is busy working :(

A group of munkies posing at the entrance of the Bavanggazo Long House

After checked in, we headed to the Tip of Borneo (about 30 minutes slow driving) for sight seeing. I must admit that Aniq took a number of great pictures. Yeahhh... Planning to post it into my Facebook soon so that I can show off to the other munkies in the office who refused to join us.

We were excited with the short trip and have been planning to a more adventurous trip next year. I suggested waterfall, but when someone mentioned the leech, I was loke ewwww.... I don't think I can stand leech climbing up to my foot and sucking my sweet blood. Oh NO WAY!

I have to think harder next year. Choose the best destination for another office trip. Must be safe environment for the children too.

Okey, back to this trip. I love the breeze, great company and wonderful moment shared. Five stars, man!

 Sue, as usual in her favourite black attire walking in style, you...

 Mummy and Qayyum, the amazing duo.

 Munkies posing at the Tip of Borneo.

 Murib and aniq holding Micah and Dante

 JUST THE THREE OF THEM... Amy holding both her sons Micah and Dante

 Climbing the rocks easier. No need Mount Kinabalu la...
 
While the other munkies are busy climbing up and down the rock, mummy and Qayyum playing on the grass.

Time to go home (the long house)

Should I tell you the real story or not? Hmmm... ok, actually I when I drove back to the long house I was busy talking with Adeq (she was holding Qayyum at the passenger seat). Cut the story short, I couldn't find the junction to the long house because it was too dark. Even worst, my phone battery drained. Luckily I found a policeman at the side of the road and he gave me the right direction. I thought I have passed the junction but actually it was just another 10km ahead.

Arrived at the long house around 7pm, showered and DINNER TIME! Most of the dishes were my favourite. We were served with rice with fried fish, Rebung, Pakis, Sayur Manis (go figure).. cant remember all but the bamboo table was full of delicious food.
After dinner, we have to find our own entertainment because we did not buy the performance package. Se took the Manggunatip bamboo, play with our own rhythm and asked whoever dared to try stepping into the most dangerous dance. LOL. No worries, everybody survuved. Ngeh :D
 
After putting so much effort in the Manggunatip game, we played Batu Seremban while the kids were playing with their legos. My son slept early.





At first, we planned to sleep in the room but since there were a lot of 'gossip' and 'theory', also current issues discussed, we carried all the mattress out of the room and slept at the living room. It was long so we have more than enough space to rest in our own style.

Some munkies slept early, but I remember at 2am Murib, Aniq, amy and I were still talking about life and world crisis. At 3am, almost everyone were awake and continue chit-chatting. I was not sure what time we slept but we woke up at 7am to get ready for the breakfast at 8am.

We headed to the beach for a half-day barbeque and go back to Kota Kinabalu around afternoon after Zohor prayer.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment